​Where can I find out more information on government procurement policies and principles?

Information on the policies and principles that relate to government purchasing of goods and services and building and construction/roads and bridges are set out in the procurement Treasurer's Instructions.

Further information on the Tasmanian Government's purchasing policies and principles can be found on this website at Purchasing Policies and Purchasing Principles.

What is meant by "value for money"?

Value for money means achieving the desired outcome at the best possible price.  This does not necessarily mean the cheapest price. 

What is "open competition"?

"Open competition" means ensuring that the purchasing process is impartial, open to all offers, and encourages competitive offers.

How can I become known as a supplier/a preferred supplier?

See How to get Known for a number of useful ideas on how to market your company to government agencies.

However, there is no such thing as a preferred supplier. Suppliers are instead encouraged to make themselves known to government buyers and familiarise themselves with the requirements for doing business with government.

Do you have a list of all the agencies' purchasing officers?

Yes. The list of agency contacts can be located here.

Do the Government purchasing policies apply to all agencies?

No.  See here for information on which agencies are required to follow the purchasing requirements.

What is the purchase value threshold for seeking 3 written quotations?

  • Goods and Services - more than $50 000 and less than $250 000
  • Building and Construction (works) - more than $50 000 and less than $250 000
  • Roads and Bridges (works​) - more than $50 000 and less than $500 000

What is Principal-nominated insurance?

Principal-nominated insurance is an insurance policy which a contractor is required to use for all Government building and construction works contracts valued at $250 000 and over. Use of the insurance is also required for all Government building and construction works contracts valued between $50 000 and $250 000, unless a risk assessment undertaken by the tendering agency indicates that the use of the policy is not warranted. The policy covers both contract works and public liability.

For more information, please refer to the information sheet Principal-nominated insurance - information for building construction contractors.


Back Home